Mini drones have become increasingly popular as drone tech progresses and small drones get more features and smaller sizes. There are various small drones to choose from and have different uses.
Nano drones are commonly palm sized toy drones best suited to indoor flight. Mini drones can be acquired with or with out a camera. As most droners will be using their drones to capture aerial images, mini personal drones has become a very strong segment.
With nano technology derived from smartphones and migrated to nano drones. One can now get amazing 4K video and images with a small portable drone that fits in your pocket.
We have compiled a complete list of the best mini drones and nano drones to buy in 2017.
Lets Kick It Off Reviewing The Top Mini Sized Drones With Cameras
DJI MAVIC AIR
DJI is already known for producing some great drones, such as the Spark and the original Mavic. The Mavic Air offers many of the same high-quality features but takes up less space due to the new compact, foldable design. It is also a beautiful drone with some of the most gorgeous, sports-carlike lines seen on the market today.
The Mavic Air is small and sleek – but that’s not its main appeal. Instead, any drone enthusiast should look to the excellent engineering that went into creating this device. For example, it is the only drone of its size to include 3-Axis Camera Stabilization – which, by the way, allows you to capture stunning HD footage at up to 120 frames per second without any jarring camera shake.
The impressive onboard storage – 8 gigabytes of internal storage – will be helpful in a pinch (though the device can also take SD cards). In addition, the Mavic Air has an autonomous piloting system with object avoidance. In fact, unlike older models, this drone will actually route around any obstacle rather than just stopping. The Mavic Air is also perfectly capable of tracking objects and people without the use of the app – another improvement over older models.
Finally, the Mavic Air also includes a few QuickShot modes. These will produce some of the coolest pictures possible from a drone. For example, the new Asteroid mode creates a panoramic, 360-degree view from top-down – something that is not commonly seen in drone photography. All-in-all, the features offered by the Mavic Air carve its place out in the mini-drone market.
1 used from $379.88
- DJI Spark Remote Control Combo Includes Remote controller and standard Spark accessory kit (See Details Below)
- 2-Axis Stabilized Gimbal Camera 12MP Still Photos / 1080p/30 Video Gesture and TapFly Control
- FlightAutonomy with Obstacle Detection Subject Tracking from Various Angles GPS- & Vision Position-Based Navigation
- Top Speed of 31 mph in Sport Mode Up to 16 Minutes Flying Time
- Up to 1.2 Mile Control Range Control, Edit, Share with DJI GO App
One of the best-known drones from DJI is their original Spark. This is a compact drone with a lot of automated features that has been designed with a mainstream audience in mind. It is very user-friendly and comes in at a reasonable price that opens up the market to many people who may not have already been drone enthusiasts. It is also incredibly small – it is no larger or heavier than a canned beverage.
The DJI Spark’s small size does not cost it any features. It features a 12-megapixel camera with a great field of view. In addition, it is capable of shooting video in 1080p high-definition. Plus, the device also includes a variety of shooting modes including DJI’s proprietary and artistic QuickShot mode. It will be easy to produce some great-looking footage with the DJI Spark.
This drone was designed with new users in mind. Thus, it includes many features that are meant to simplify the user experience. For example, TapFly mode mitigates the need for experience controlling a drone. Instead of doing it manually, one must simply tap where they want the drone to go on their phone screen while in the DJI app. Using the onboard object avoidance and tracking technology, the DJI Spark will fly in the direction of – or right to – the spot that was tapped.
A few other features that you may want to know about if you are considering purchasing one of these drones include HD Wi-Fi and Sport Mode. HD Wi-fi allows the drone to transmit 720p video in real-time from up to two kilometers (or about 1.2 miles) away. The Sport Mode uses a little more battery in order to keep the drone stabilized in winds up to 31 miles per hour – an impressive feat for this pocket-sized drone. The DJI Spark is one of the best and most innovative drones out there today.
3 used from $149.00
- Pocket-size rechargeable drone with dual satellite positioning and high definition camera
- Easily control with your phone's swipe function or use phone as a motion controller, real time image-monitoring on your phone
- Innovative camera offers facial recognition, target tracking and 10s auto follow short video shooting
- Synchronize photos to your phone with one click, sharing function ensures your wonderful moments last
The ZeroTech Dobby is one of the best nano-drones out there today. It is small and light – lighter than a smartphone, in fact – and does not need to be registered with the FAA due to its size. It also boasts a lot of features that are meant to enhance the device’s usability and functionality in all applications. The ZeroTech Dobby is also controlled exclusively by an app.
This drone possesses one of the best high-definition camera systems on a drone of this size. It can capture 4K footage, produce 1080p video, and will produce incredibly high-quality images as well. It is important to note that the device also supports PANO mode for creative footage as well as EIS in tandem with footage being shot. Plus, it has a 360-degree range of motion for capturing images and footage from all angles.
The ZeroTech Dobby also has powerful and reliable flight technology. The well-engineered aerodynamic design, for example, allows stable and quick flight at speeds of up to 31 miles per hour. It also can fly for around 9 minutes on a single charge – a very respectable number for a drone of this size. Plus, it will be able to track people and objects as well as avoid collisions due to the great AI pathing control.
One of the most important things to mention about this drone is that it is meant to be easy-to-use. The app offers a lot of one-key features – such as take-off and landing and even cinematic filming. This means that anyone could pick up one of these drones and use it right out of the box. Thus, the ZeroTech Dobby is one of the best drones on this list.
- 4K STUNNING VIDEO & PICTURES with breathtaking 4K Ultra High Definition and ultra-clear 13 megapixel stills.
- EASY TO USE no flying experience necessary to take dramatic aerial group photos and video, simply pick from 5 automated flight modes to get the shot of your choice: Selfie, Pilot, Orbit, Journey, Follow Me.
- SAFE TO FLY with built-in Indoor Positioning System to allow Breeze to hold its position indoors and outdoors; the propeller protectors preventing them from coming into contact with other objects. Also, automatically returns to home and lands with the tap of a button.
The Yuneec Breeze is another small and powerful drone available on the market today. It weighs just under a single pound, meaning it is one of the lightest remote-controlled aircraft out there. Plus, it boasts some of the best-engineered technology that has ever been applied to this type of camera drone. The Yuneec Breeze, for example, can shoot Ultra HD 4K footage right out of the box.
The Breeze may be small, but it hasn’t sacrificed any functionality. For instance, the device can stream 720p footage live over the wi-fi connection and via the app (which can be downloaded on either iOS or Android). It is also capable of several different automatic flight modes that could be used for artistic or practical purposes.
The Selfie and Orbit flight path modes are perfect for creating breathtaking views from the air. The Follow Me mode makes use of the Yuneec Breeze’s onboard tracking and navigation system in order to follow the subject and take pictures or videos when it is needed. This mitigates the need for a skilled pilot – the best-quality captures are now only a button-press away.
Another interesting aspect of the Yuneec Breeze is that it can be used to share videos and photos over social networks quickly and easily. One simply selects the footage or image that they wish to upload, choose the social network that you want it to go to, and press upload. This means that you can share your Yuneec Breeze experiences without even leaving the app.
1 used from $86.99
- 4K RESOLUTIONS & FPV: Built in 4K HD video recording, 13M pixel 360°photograph, enjoy the thrill of flight; First person view, enjoy live video feed of your flight via the smart phone with FPV WiFi feature, real time flight critical information display
- SAFE TO FLY: Low-voltage auto landing, auto return if loose connection, motor stalling protection, propeller protection cover, no worry about the safe; 30m~100m Control range by connecting with phone [S6 outdoor edition is designed especially for outdoor flying, indoor flying is not recommended in order to achieve a better flying experience]
One of the best entry-level drones available is the Wingsland S6 – but don’t let that tag fool you. Though it has a reasonable price and is quite intuitive, no features have been sacrificed in this small drone. And when we say small, we mean it – the S6 is the thinnest 4K drone in the entire world. It is about the size of an iPhone and weighs about the same as one.
The Wingsland S6 is also jam-packed with features. The drone itself is available in several different colors. Plus, each includes a 13-megapixel camera that can capture 4K footage at 30 FPS with 3-axis image stabilization. This ensures that the footage produced by this aircraft is among the best you could get in the industry.
This drone uses an app interface to communicate. The app is available on any smartphone that runs Android or iOS. It is used to control the drone, but also has video-editing features (such as adding subtitles, music, or even combining footage). The S6 also offers several flying modes through the app – including flipping, 360-degree photos, and a follow function.
Also important to note regarding this drone is that there are some unique attachments available that allow it to fly in the dark. This is rather rare in this market – setting the Wingsland S6 apart from the rest. It also is very hard to lose due to the default return settings (it will either fly back to where it took off from or to the owner’s current location). All-in-all, the Wingsland S6 is a solid choice for an experienced drone pilot or someone who is just getting into the hobby.
HOVER CAMERA PASSPORT
10 used from $190.00
- Auto-Follow: Using face and body detection technology, the Hover Camera can accompany your journey hands-free with video recording and photo taking while cycling, running, surfing, or even hang-gliding
- No FAA Registration Required: Fly confidently and right out of the box without having FAA limitations and restrictions like other drones and operating temperature is 5 degree Celsius-35 degree Celsius (41 degree Fahrenheit-95 degree Fahrenheit)
The Hover Camera Passport is a unique drone because it was specifically created for taking photos and videos of oneself. It has facial and body tracking that allows it to accompany one’s journey without using a smartphone. This is accomplished through the Owner Mode feature – which uses AI to find you on its own and follow you, right out of the box.
Another incredible feature offered by this device is the carbon fiber construction. This allows it to be quite light – weighing in at only about 242 grams – but also very durable. In fact, it is possible to physically grab this drone out of the air while it is flying without worrying about damaging propellers or other pieces. This feature is not often seen on drones in today’s market.
The Hover Camera Passport also boasts gesture control. You will be able to tell it when to take pictures without touching your phone or the device itself. This means that it is incredibly versatile and will be able to operate under even extreme circumstances. Plus, its 13-megapixel camera will ensure that you look your best – and is even capable of capturing 4K footage at 30 frames per second.
This drone has already proven itself in the market today. It has received several awards – including the Reddot Design Award, the CES Innovation Award, and even the Best Consumer Drone award from CES. This is due to its incredible versatility, design, and durability that other drones on the market today cannot match.
- FOLDABLE DRONE: Designed to be portable, the quadcopter features a foldable arm design, equipped with a hand bag, can be set on the arm to easily carry the drone anywhere without hassle.For more details see the video: https://youtu.be/KK12QtuqA9M
- HD 720P CAMERA WIFI FPV: With Wifi real-time transmission FPV system,JJRC H37 Baby Elfie can capture photos and record videos. Images and videos will be stored in both the app and the mobile album system.
This budget quadcopter is a pretty solid choice from JJRC – a company that is well-known for their drones already. It is a smartphone-operated camera drone that is controlled via an app that connects to the onboard wi-fi system. Plus, it has a unique storage system that bypasses the need for any storage on the device itself. Instead, it simply stores videos and photos directly to the phone that is being used to control it.
One of the coolest features that the JJRC H37 offers is “Headless” mode. This enables the user to fly the drone without knowing which direction it is oriented in – making it easier for an inexperienced user to pilot the quadcopter. Another useful feature is the “High Hold” mode. This is activated when the throttle is released and holds the drone at the same height that it was at when this occurs. This is another user-friendly feature that is suitable for amateur pilots.
This drone is also incredibly well-engineered when it comes to flight. It has three speed modes – enabling incredibly fast flight in open areas as well as slower, controlled flight in a more cramped space. This device is also capable of flips, rolls, and rotations that are almost acrobatic in nature. So, some of the most unique and immersive drone footage could come from this machine.
While the JJRC H37 is a budget drone, it still has a respectable camera that includes 6-axis gyro stabilization. There is also a self-timing function in order to create some innovative aerial photographs. In addition, real-time video over wi-fi enables the user to get the full flying experience from the comfort of a smartphone screen. Though the JJRC H37 does not produce HD footage, the price and versatility of the device are enough to make it worth a purchase.
- Integrated 1080p / 13MP Camera, Electronic Image Stabilization
- Automatic Subject Tracking, App-Based Control with 328 ft Range
- 720p Resolution Live Video Feed, Edit and Share Footage with App
- Virtual Stick and Motion-Based Flying, One-key takeoff / landing, One-key return home
- Up to 15 Minute Battery Life, Max Speed 17.9 mph, Max Flight Height 150 ft
The high-tech XIRO XPLORER Mini is a leading device in the mini-drone industry. It is a standard quadcopter design, but that is about the only ordinary thing about it. Even the motors themselves boast a brushless design that is quiet, efficient, and durable. In addition, this device will last a long time in-flight due to the 1400mAh intelligent battery (it only uses power when it absolutely needs it).
The XIRO XPLORER Mini uses dual-satellite positioning to ensure the most safe and accurate outdoor flying possible. It also includes visual positioning sensors for indoor use that enable it to be controlled without using GPS. This means that it is perfectly capable of flight and recording in any environment.
Another interesting aspect of this device is that it is highly-customizable. The casing, for example, is completely interchangeable with several different patterns available in order to reflect your own personal style. The XIRO XPLORER Mini is one of the first devices to offer such extensive customizability – carving out a unique niche in the mini-drone market.
The best part about this device is that you can capture stunning footage with ease. It is meant to be integrated with a smartphone app that offers a lot of single button controls. For example, taking off and landing is accomplished with only a single button-press. It also stores the take-off location and will return there when it is running low on battery. The XIRO XPLORER Mini is a revolutionary and high-quality device that can help create some amazing visuals.
Now For The Best Nano Drone Options
- Headless mode：Headless mode, a function through which the aircraft will consider the direction opposite to that of the remote control as the correct one by default when it flies to a height where the operator is not able to judge the direction of the aircraft head with bare eyes, so that you can go on with the remaining positions.
- 3D Roll：Just press the button on transmitter, and you get 360-degrees Flip, continuous roll for perfect action and wonderful performance.
JJRC is one of the leading manufacturers of drones for all skill levels. The H36 mini-drone is no exception – this quadcopter comes in at a very affordable price without sacrificing performance. Though this drone does not have a camera on-board it is a perfect device for a beginner to learn on. The JJRC H36 is fast, durable, and maneuverable.
One important feature that this drone offers is a 6-axis gyroscope stabilizing system. This enables the drone to function properly in harsher wind conditions and also makes it more responsive to the use of the controls. It can also travel in any direction at a considerable speed.
This drone also includes a Headless mode for ease-of-use. This mode ensures that the operator will always see the intended results at high heights – even when it is not possible to tell with the naked eye which direction the drone is facing. This is great for high-flyers and beginners.
The JJRC H36 also features acrobatic flying functions – including 360-degree flips and continuous rolls. This is great practice for users who wish to move on to more advanced devices in the future. Plus, the LED lights that the H36 boasts enable easy flying in dark conditions. Overall, this device is the perfect one for a beginner and a great supplement to the collection of an experienced drone pilot.
- Altitude Hold Function: Powerful air pressure altitude hold function allows you to release the throttle stick and the drone will keep hovers at it's current height.
- Foldable and Easy to Carry: This mini quadcopter can be folded into the controller, which is small and easy to carry.
- One Key Take off / Landing: Drone automatically hovers at a set altitude after take-off and before landing making it easy to control and maneuver, especially for beginners who are not yet skilled.
Among the best devices for people who are just starting out in the drone piloting world is the HolyStone HS190. It is a durable, inexpensive quadcopter that is perfect for beginners. It offers several features that make it one of the very best remote-controlled aircraft for someone who wishes to learn about drone piloting. It is also foldable and compact.
One of the main important features to consider when looking at this drone is the one-key take off and landing function. This is great for people who are not too skilled at flying – it will be hard to damage the device from a hard landing or improper take-off. It will also hover in place after the throttle is released, reducing the risk that the device will get damaged.
This device also offers a revolutionary charging system. While you can charge it in the standard way (with a wall outlet) you can also charge the drone right from the controller. This is a convenient way to carry extra power with you, keeping you flying for longer during the day.
The HolyStone HS190 is also an incredibly capable flier. It can flip in three directions, for example. It is also able to spin at an incredibly high speed – like a pirouetting dancer. In addition, three different speed settings enable the most-precise control possible. This drone is good for beginners and experienced fliers alike.
HUBSAN Q4 H111
- World's Smallest Quadcopter equipped with 6-axis flight control systems.
- Features : 2.4GHz transmitter ,3.7V rechargeable LiPO battery and USB charger .
- Mini drone can 360°flips &rolls and 4 Way Flipping (left, right, forward & backward).
- Lightweight airframe with nice durability and fashion design .
- Flies in the dark or flies outdoor with mini colorful LED light bulb .
There are micro-drones, and then there are nano-drones. The Hubsan Q4 H111 was the smallest fully-functioning remote-controlled quadcopter available on the market at the time of its release. It is only about 5 inches wide, 4 inches tall, and 2 inches thick. There is no camera on the device, but it is priced quite reasonably and is very functional.
One important feature of the Hubsan Q4 H111 is the integrated gyro stabilization. This enables the device to fly at high speeds and in tight quarters equally as well. Speaking of speed, this device is ridiculously quick, reaching incredible speeds with little acceleration time.
This quadcopter also includes LED lights on the front and the back. This is great for flying in low-light conditions and also helps to guide the device. In addition, you will be able to tell what way the device is oriented due to these LEDs. This is perfect for flying in any location imaginable.
The transmitter included with this device can work from a pretty sizeable distance. It makes use of two AAA batteries, meaning that you can just take extras along for your flying journey. All-in-all, the Hubsan Q4 H111 is a fantastic drone for beginner to intermediate fliers.
BLADE NANO QX RTF
- Features exclusive SAFE™ technology with stability and agility modes
- Small enough to fly in any room or office
- Tough, lightweight airframe with blade guards
- Potent brushed motors that provide smooth and powerful lift. 4-in-1 DSMX Receiver/ESCs/mixer/SAFE sensor unit
- Please read the user manual under Product Details & also contact Horizon Hobby at 800.959.2305 for any Technical Support.Battery:3.7V 1S 150mAh 25C LiPo
This nano-drone can fit in the palm of your hand and weighs little more than a half an ounce. The Blade Nano QX RTF can be flown in indoor and outdoor environments. Plus, it was designed for use by beginners and includes several features to make it easy to fly regardless of experience.
One of the most important things to know about the device is that it includes a stability mode. When the sticks on the controller are released, the Blade Nano QX RTF will instantly return to a stable, hovering position. This prevents collisions and is a type of failsafe.
This tiny device is also incredibly fast and maneuverable. The tough, lightweight frame means that you can speed it through a room, office, or even outdoors without worrying about a damaging collision. It also makes use of some of the best brushed motors on the market that provide optimum power and efficiency.
The aesthetics of the device should not be discounted, either. It includes green and yellow canopies that incorporate custom graphics. This helps it to stand out from other devices and thus reflect the user’s own individuality. Thus, this device from Blade is a good choice for fliers who are looking for a strong, reliable, small, and fast drone.